Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Laundry Cart

Hello all. I am Kim, the oldest (and shortest) of this beautiful bunch. I'm happily married, usually happily raising 3 girls & a boy and unhappily cleaning my own house and taking care of my own yard.
Almost a year ago my family returned to the USA from a 6 year expat assignment in Chile. It was awesome & hard at the same time. Little did I know that it would be so hard to return to 'normal' life. 6 years of having a fulltime maid and a weekly gardener pretty much ruined me... most days I find myself waiting for my magic cleaning fairy to appear. She never does. Many of my posts will be focused on relearning cleaning & organization skills, as well as emergency preparedness (yes... we have experienced more than our fair share of earthquakes).

My laundry room is decent in size, but majorly lacking in functionality. And I hate folding clothes. I used to fold everything right out of the dryer and put the clothing into individual baskets for each of the kids (sound familiar mom?). The problem was that by the time the clothes were unloaded into drawers, they usually weren't folded anymore. Plus, who can find a shirt if it's at the bottom of a messy drawer? Not my kids.
Investing in a laundry cart with a hanging bar above it has solved both my poorly-planned laundry room problems, as well as the lost, wrinkled clothing issues. First of all, it has wheels. There is not a really great space for it in the laundry room, so it lives in my closet- except on laundry day (it helps that my closet has a connecting door the the laundry room). Now as soon as the dryer goes off, everything (minus jeans, socks, pj's, yard work clothes- those still go into the individual laundry baskets) gets hung up. The hanging bar is separated by cute labels for each family member plus a section for clothes in need of ironing. When laundry is done, the kids happily (I can wish, right?) hang up their clothes in their closet & put away the items in their baskets. And I don't have to fold nearly the amount of clothes that I did before:)
Front of label is cute paper that reminds me of the family member.
Back of label is the persons name.

No comments:

Post a Comment